Thursday 3 May 2012

Dark Blue - Jack's Mannequin

Before today, the band Jack's Mannequin was just one of those bands that I often heard being discussed for having the odd similarity to artists such as James Morrison and Daniel Powter, but never really had any other motivation to listen to. I decided to review one of the band's songs as a first time listener and to see if you feel they are an artist worth doing an album review of in the future. My friend recommended I listen to the 2007 hit 'Dark Blue'. My immediate reaction was that the minimalistic tune reminded me of the song 'Fly With Me' by The Jonas Brothers. The opening drum beat that initially grabbed me is definitely the best part of the whole song. The lead singer has mediocre vocals, therefore throughout the verses I found myself paying more attention to the drumming than the singing and lyrics. I do, however, love the line 'dark blue, dark blue have you ever been in love in a crowded room?' which is, fundamentally, the chorus. Overall, I liked the song a lot but I do not feel it had the 'wow' factor that I look for when I'm first listening to bands. It would be great to hear your thoughts, especially if you're a first time listener like me, so please comment or tweet me to let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment