Monday 16 April 2012

Nothing But Thieves



Nothing But Thieves is a band from Essex, England that I was fortunate to see live last year when they opened for Allstar Weekend at the o2 academy Islington. Annoyingly, I only arrived to that particular concert towards the end of their set but I was really impressed with what I heard and met the band afterwards. After that night, I looked the boys up on Youtube and became mesmerised with the covers that they have posted. Conor has one of the rawest, magical voices I have heard in a very long time and could be compared to the amazing vocals of Josh Ramsay (lead singer of Marianas Trench) with the emotion of John Mayer and passion of John Legend. So far, they have done covers of Lady Gaga, Adele, Pink, Jessie J, Tom Petty, The Script and Queen showing their versatile music stylings. Dom and Joe, the guitarists, are again talented musicians and their playing in 'Who's Laughing Now' is particularly impressive. Dave is the drummer and when I saw the band live the drum beats were the type that hit you straight in the heart, the band would not be the same without him. Nothing But Thieves have only released one of their own tracks on Youtube so far, entitled 'Falling' and the first time I heard it, it instantly became one of my favourite songs. I definitely think it’s the vocals which make the song so hypnotising and the pause before one of the choruses gives me chills every time. This band need to become better known as their talent must not go unnoticed; fortunately they are working on an album of new music which hopefully will showcase them as an amazing new band. I am very excited to see the boys at their show at The Garage in Islington, London on the 8th May and will be doing a review of the show. Until then, check out 'Falling' and their other covers and if you live in the area, make sure you grab a ticket to their gig in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment